Sunday, August 3, 2008

whew.

Wow, it's been quite some time since I posted!! With a good reason, I promise. It just got to the point that I was working so hard at work (and out of it, but still working on our intern project) that doing my personal art took a backseat. I think I burned out twice, something I have never done before, but I learned how to deal with it and get myself back together. Most of it had to do with having Mike help me through it. Thanks hun! So I finished up on Friday, it was bittersweet. The sweet part being not having to get up at 6 AM monday morning... the bitter part not working as a professional/getting paid/ and working with really fabulous people. The design studio at Bealls IS AMAZING, they do so much and they are all really talented people. I guess I am more sad than happy, but hopefully (and if the economy doesn't take a totally crap) I will have a spot up there when I graduate... I will be doing freelance for them during the year and Jan (boss lady) wanted me to be an "on call" artist, meaning, whenever they needed me I would come up and work like normal. I turned that down because of the craziness that is senior year. But it's ok, she knows about ringling and all that.

In the end I ended up doing at least 45 beach towels, I know about 20-25 of them that are booked, and about another 9 that probably will be, but I ran out of time and didn't get to send them over- seas myself. I also did these nifty flip flops, wedge sandles, dinner ware, missy tee's and such. I learned A LOT about the business of art and this whole retail world, which is quite fascinating. The intern project ( bascially a re-branding of the juniors and young men private brand) went really well. The presentation was NERVE RACKING! But we did a really great job and it rocked. I had a good team of interns to work with. yay!

I can't believe all the art I produced. I'm going to bring my binder of work to ringling to show a few teachers what bealls is all about so they can help steer future students who want to get into fashion/reatail/ pattern design.

Oi, I can't even sum up all of my 12 weeks there and I have mixed emotions about going back to school. I have no idea what sorta style I want to do, because I worked so differently at bealls. So I'm at a loss on that and I just feel different. I can't explain it. Weird. Hopefully when I see some more familiar faces again (*cough... matt) I'll be able to figure it out.

Anyhoo, here's a pic of about half the design team (plus mike, matt's wife, and Jan's son). we went bowling right after work to celebrate my 12 weeks with them. It was a lot of fun, and I will miss them!! We are a little weird, but you have to be to be in this business. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl, I'm so glad you had a blast in your internship!!! You always do good, don't be nervous!!! You're awesome! About school I think we're all excited and anxious at the same time (for any reason I think) but we can do it! I hope to see you when school starts!! Tons of luv!

mattcrotts said...

lol what a group. i recognize the guys in the top right corner - i'm sure it's the same two guys whose names you had mentioned to me, and i had said i had no clue. ha. from what little i remember of them, they were really burly dudes, and very funny. looks like you had a blast! i'm expecting you to wear that t-shirt first day of senior year.