Sunday, January 11, 2009

Last first day


Seems so weird tomorrow (Monday) will be my last first day of school EVER. Crazy.

Here's a snippet of my first finished thesis illustration!! The reason I'm not posting the whole thing is because I would like people to see a whole body of work at our senior show in May. Don't worry, I'll post the finals on here after the show :)

Here's what my thesis actually is. I love children's books and specially old, classic children's poems and nursery rhythms. I've always wanted to illustrate some of my all time favorites... so this is my chance. I've chosen about 9 poems, mostly from books my Grandmother and Mom read to me from. A lot of these poems I can still hear my grandmother read to me, so they all have a special place in my heart. I think my grandmother had the most enthusiasm concerning me becoming an artist, she's had quite the influence on me!

The image above is from a short poem by Quentin Blake

Handy spandy, Jack-a-Dandy
Loves plum cake and sugar candy.
He bought some at a
grocer's shop

And out he came, hop, hop
hop, hop!

Some of the other poems I picked are: 3 little kittens, Mrs. Snipkin and Mrs. Wobblechin, Owl and the Pussy Cat, several others from Quentin Blake, Peter Pumpkin Eater, Little Bo Peep, The Hen....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh love your new banner! Looks familiar! And what a great idea for your thesis! So cool :D

Lauren Kay Accessories said...

I like your nifty sneak peek ;)